Wigan, Greater Manchester
£365 - £400 per day + Inside IR35
about 1 month ago
To be responsible for the engineering development of allocated proposals from clarification of remit to project completion managing so that the engineering solutions to proposals are developed to best satisfy the business case.
- Manage the production of the development remits for proposals so that the engineering requirements, scope, possibilities and operational performance targets are accurately described and maintain a robust challenge to sponsoring engineers and managers, to monitor and value manage the business and technical remit.
- Manage all engineering and development activities so that they result in schemes that are affordable, and that meet programme requirements in a safe and environmentally responsible manner for time, cost and quality.
- Manage the development of suitable engineering options for proposals so that full consideration is given to safety, reliability, operational capacity modelling, maintainability, ease of construction and environmental / whole life issues.
- Review compliance with standards and maintain designer's competency.
- Maintain strict change control on scope development; evaluate cost, time and performance impacts in conjunction with development management.
- Participate in the selection of a single option for further development and manage the development of the selected single option, preparing and monitoring production of reports and papers.
- Prepare the full engineering data package required for commencement of the detailed design, and participate in answering on-going clarifications/queries as needed.
- Where applicable, manage independent checking of safety critical design documentation.
- Support the Construction Design Management (CDM) Planning Supervisor during GRIP stages 2 to 4 in all associated duties and carry out or monitor cross-discipline engineering checks of all relevant aspects of the proposal.
- Resource adequately the feasibility stages of project development, and in the use of the most appropriate support equipment.
- Manage the engineering interfaces of allocated proposals with concurrent work in other disciplines, or within other programmes.
- Act as or liaise with, the appropriate Project Engineer during stages 2-4, monitoring so that method statements for site works and surveys are produced and accepted to the required standards.
- Monitor, assess, evaluate and audit Consultants and Contractors during project stages 2-4.
- Electrical Design & construction experience - min 2 year's experience
- Working on site
- An engineering degree or equivalent industry-recognised training qualification.
- A demonstrable aptitude for option development.
- Strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- A working knowledge of rail engineering; relevant successful experience working in the principal discipline and an adequate understanding of all other related disciplines.
- An ability to work and communicate effectively in a team context.
- An appreciation of all the life cycle stages of rail infrastructure.
- CDM, Risk assessment and external audit competency.
- Membership of a relevant engineering professional institution.
- Experience in design, installation and maintenance.
- Formal qualifications in risk identification and assessment.
- Six Sigma Green Belt.