Greater London, England
market rates inside of IR35
8 months ago
Rail Project Head of Health and Safety Assurance and Business Resilience
Purpose of the Job
To provide assurance on the performance of the Client and its contractors through effective overseeing of health and safety assurance by way of auditing, surveillance and inspection aligned to the appropriate risk profile for the respective phase of the project.
- Design and manage the health and safety assurance process to deliver legal responsibilities whilst supporting the delivery of the Programme and Target Zero aspirations.
- Support the Health & Safety Director through the preparation of appropriate data, reports, papers or presentations to identified stakeholders and lead the assurance team in the formation and delivery of an effective assurance programme.
- Manage a team of H&S specialists focussing on health and safety assurance and provide appropriate support to the Programme and Tier 1 contractors in meeting the requirements.
- Lead the assessment process to ensure that the health and systems operating within the Client and its stakeholders conform to the requirements the Client (particularly as COM Client) have specified.
- Ensure reports, presentations and performance statistics are submitted accurately and on-time as directed.
- Communicate the standard of health and safety compliance to appropriate management forums and gain agreement to any next steps for the management team.
- Manage the feedback process to Stakeholders and the development of appropriate mitigation plans to address the issues raised within the health and safety assurance management regime.
- Provide support to the Occupational Health Specialist and appropriate OH and Wellbeing initiatives where required.
- Support the development and communication of a Health and Safety Strategy that sets out H&S objectives and requirements for the delivery of a Target Zero ·programme.
- Develop and support the delivery of programmes to maintain and improve health and safety management across the Client and Stakeholder Management teams.
- Monitor and advise the Client in its roles as Client, Principal Designer and Designer to ensure that the Client has the necessary competence and resources to manage its duties under the CDM Regulations.
- To manage the planning and implementation of risk mitigation programmes including inspections, safety training/briefings and occupational health and safety compliance.
- Ensure relevant H&S records (e.g. policy documentation, procedures, risk assessments, safety data sheets, risk registers, fire drills and training records) are kept, maintained and updated as and when necessary utilising the eB system and Sharepoint.
- Provide advice and assistance so that others understand their health and safety obligations and how to achieve them.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to the Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate with Crossrail in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times
- Act as a role model for the Client's vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with the Client's Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put the Client's information or information systems at risk
Main challenges of the job
- Integrating the Health & Safety Assurance programme with the existing.
- Ensure understanding of governance structures and ensure accurate, right first time and on time delivery of reports etc.
- Understanding interfaces and developing and maintaining relationships
- Working with many teams internal and external to the Client in a consistent and professional manner.
- Improving health & safety performance across the programme and leading on Client led initiatives with Tier 1 contractors.
- Developing a collaborative approach across the programme.
- Proven experience of delivering in a similar role.
- Evidence of successful management in a complex organisation with multiple interfaces.
- Qualified to degree level with a NEBOSH Diploma or (S)NVQ level 5 or equivalent, in occupational health and safety supported by appropriate and relevant continuous professional development.
- Chartered Member of IOSH - working towards may be considered for the right candidate.
- Experience in construction, engineering or rail environment advantageous.