4 months ago
We're currently working on behalf of a leading rail industry body who are seeking a dedicated and motivated Lead Systems Safety Engineer with a background in safety and risk. Working within their System, Safety and Health Directorate, you will be required to provide specialist technical expertise to the industry on safety and risk management issues, and support their ongoing safety assurance activities
- Provide competent specialist advice to support activities in: setting safety strategy, system modelling, requirements management & development of standards (e.g. EU Regulations and Standards, domestic legislation, Railway Group Standards).
- Support industry safety assurance activities, including identifying hazards, assessing safety risk, and running workshops.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of risk assessment and risk management issues, within and outside the rail industry, through continuing professional development
- Communicate relevant information on risk issues to those who need to know (e.g. managers, project leaders, health, safety and environment engineers and colleagues)
- Analyse railway system safety risk and assisting in communicating and promoting the understanding of the risk profile and the major risk contributors to the industry.
- Review and advise on risk assessments and risk assessment methodologies developed by the industry.
- Promote good risk management practice both internally and across the wider industry.
- Write high quality reports, guidance and tools to inform internal and external stakeholder activity.
- Degree in mathematics, science, engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of risk assessment and risk management techniques
- Awareness of safety assessment techniques e.g. HAZOP, FMECA, FTA
- Effective communication skills with in conveying complex issues to non-technical users at all levels
- Ability to work collaboratively, and influence at all levels.
- Experience of applying analytical thinking and problem-solving with an ability to quickly understand complex information
- Interpersonal and team working skills
- Experience of working in the rail industry
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and standards e.g. CSMs, EN 50126/8/9