Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £420.00 per day + Public Sector IR35
about 3 years ago
To lead the development of all aspects of the railway system development to support submission of the Hybrid Bill. This will require coordination throughout the organisation, facilitating the assurance of technical submissions from Professional Service Consultants (PSCs) to determine end to end compliance with standards and requirements of the totality of the phase 2b network.
- Act as the interface between the development directorate and the Operations & Infrastructure Management Directorate (OIMD).
- Ensure the Hybrid Bill designs for Phase 2 meets the requirements of the 'end state' railway in terms of operability and reliability.
- Lead the provision of expert technical and engineering input from a railway systems perspective to support the Hybrid Bill design through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests.
- Manage and guide the area teams, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support both Civil and Rail Systems PSCs in delivering the whole railway system
- Act as the interface between Technical Directorate / OIMD and the area teams ensuring design development and technical issues are consistently addressed
- Identify, assess and manage project wide design risks
- Identify opportunities to reduce capital cost and progress these through to realisation
- Ability to carry out robust independent checks on a wide variety of designs and produce, interpret and assess specifications, standards and technical reports
- Ability to resolve complex design problems, demonstrating a tenacious approach to tackling problems whilst maintaining attention to detail
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skills
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of stakeholders through working within a matrix organisation.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Strong team management, planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Systems Engineering
- Chartered engineer (or equivalent relevant experience)
- Extensive knowledge of railway operations / engineering design principles required to achieve optimal design outputs
- Detailed knowledge of conventional railway systems and an appreciation of High Speed railway systems and their differences
- Working knowledge of the Technical Specifications for Interoperability and relevant Notified National Technical Rules
TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
- Recent knowledge of delivering on rail projects, high speed an advantage
- Experience of Network Rail's GRIP process is desirable
- Experience of acting in the DPE, CRE or CEM role is desirable (NR/L2/INI/02009)
- Ability to communicate with engineers, managers and stakeholders at all levels through both written and verbal forms of communication
- Ability to build strong working relationships rapidly and maintain these through all projects stages, particularly where differing priorities have to be balanced in a design solution