Birmingham, West Midlands
6 months ago
Reporting to: Project Engineering Manager
To lead the development of all aspects of the railway system development to support submission of the Hybrid Bill. This requires coordination throughout the organisation, facilitating the assurance of technical submissions from Professional Service Consultants (PSCs) to determine end to end compliance with standards and requirements of the totality of the Phase Two network.
- Ensure the Hybrid Bill designs for electrification - the requirements of the 'end state' railway in terms of operability and reliability.
- Lead the provision of expert technical and engineering input from a Railway Systems perspective to support the Hybrid Bill design through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests.
- Provide technical guidance within the team, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support PSCs in delivering the whole railway system.
- Act as the interface between Technical Directorate and the team ensuring design development and issues are consistently addressed.
- Identify, assess and manage project wide design risks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or relevant industry experience.
- Chartered Engineer (or equivalent relevant experience).
- Detailed knowledge of conventional railway systems and an appreciation of High Speed railway systems and their differences.
- Extensive knowledge of railway operations / engineering design principles required to achieve optimal design outputs.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skills.
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of stakeholders through working within a matrix organisation.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
- A degree of commercial awareness to understand the cost and schedule impacts of technical and other decisions and evaluate the effect of changes to scope
- At least 3 years systems experience working on projects which include responsibility for delivery of traction power and OLE work. Previous DPE, CRE or CEM roles for these disciplines would be an advantage