Business Manager (Stations): London
Public Sector IR35
about 4 years ago
Purpose of the Job
To support in implementing project level processes and activities that relate to the commercial management of the portfolio of stations, shafts and portals projects including but not limited to, monitoring of procurement, cost, finance, schedule, risk management, compliance with contractual terms, cost verification, project staffing registers / forecasts and the timely resolution of contract change.
- Providing oversight of all commercial activities to check that Corporate Governance is adhered to.
- Directing and providing functional oversight of cost, planning, risk, finance procurement, cost verification and contract administration activities.
- Overseeing the effective implementation of Project Control systems including cost, schedule and risk in accordance with project procedures. Developing, interpreting and executing policy, objectives and standards applicable to cost, schedule and risk activities.
- Implementing and overseeing appropriate mechanisms and procedures to monitor compliance with contract terms and conditions and to check the timely resolution of contract change.
- Reviewing and recommending staffing needs for cost, schedule, risk and contract administration activities.
- Maintaining project staffing registers / forecasts.
- Working with Project Managers, their teams and the Delivery Director in the assessment of recovery and mitigation actions and making recommendations.
- Maintaining liaison with the Head of Commercial to coordinate workload and staffing plans, work processes and procedures.
- Undertaking or managing reviews and analysis of the schedule, cost and risk position (on behalf of the Delivery Director or Head of Commercial).
- Providing project specific cost, schedule and risk data to the Delivery Director and Head of Commercial to support the overall programme reporting of schedule, scope, risk and change.
- Coaching and supervising other project team members to maintain technical competence and consistency of administration within the project teams and to check that actions or inactions which could result in trends or constructive contract changes are identified and make recommendations on their resolution.
- Checks that contracts within the portfolio are administered within the requirements of the amended NEC3 ECC form of contract or applicable contract conditions.
- Managing the development of recommendations as work proceeds, on appropriate contractual and commercial actions in conformance with the requirements of the amended NEC3 ECC form of contract or applicable contract conditions.
- Monitoring contractors for compliance with NEC 3 ECC contract requirements for submissions of programme and cost data.
- Monitoring the Change Management System to check that that regular review and mitigation of trends takes place.
- Producing all necessary "business cases" to check that full and proper commercial decisions are taken.
- Check that necessary activities are undertaken in support of the Procurement / Commercial Department including participation / leading of commercial tender reviews.
- Check that material / services / goods purchase orders / requests are raised as required and monitor the management of the post award activities of the PO to close out.
- Check that IA papers are maintained, and due process is followed so that sufficient funds are available for timely payment of contractors and suppliers.
- Monitors the accurate reporting of all "Six Sigma" activities for the sector.
- Undertaking specific tasks as requested by the Head of Commercial and Delivery Director.
- Person Specification
- Degree in Engineering, Business, Quantity Surveying, Law, or Construction Management, or equivalent experience.
- Construction experience on a mega Project managing a portfolio of large projects is desirable.
- Experience and courses in cost engineering, planning, risk, pricing, contract law, contract drafting, administration and negotiation of change orders, and effective correspondence.
- Knowledge of contract administration (NEC 3), quantity surveying, home office and site procedures and documents relating to a large scale, multi-discipline construction project.
- Working knowledge of engineering/construction industry contracting practices.
- Significant experience of dealing with large civil works and / or M&E packages as needed.
- Experience of operating strategically and commercially in numerous functional areas / matrix organisation.