Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £227 per day + Inside IR35
6 months ago
Key job duties:
- Performs cost estimating, analysis, and control activities, as directed. Supervises cost engineering activities when delegated.
- Reports to and receives technical and operational supervision from designated supervisory personnel.
- Provides technical direction to assigned personnel, when delegated.
- Maintains relationships with project personnel, particularly with individual discipline group leaders and engineers.
- Assists in preparing cost data for proposals and contract negotiations.
- Participates in developing and presenting training classes on designated subjects and on-the-job training programs.
- Determines scope definition requirements for a discipline or other specialty and works with Engineering and other sources to coordinate the production of required data to conform to the overall estimate preparation plan.
- Develops quantity take-offs for a discipline or specialty using defined documents or undefined scope assumptions. Verifies quantities provided by others.
- Develops and applies unit rates (cost and job hours) to quantity take-offs and to otherwise developed quantities within a discipline or other specialty.
- Prepares specific budgets in accordance with prescribed standards and procedures.
- Assists in developing and implementing requirements for cost recording, reporting, and analysing standards, programs, and reports. Performs performance monitoring and control functions for specific applications, including the consistent use of applicable procedures.
- Independently provides financial reporting and trending, with oversight, for the Project Cost Engineer.
- Assists in developing specific project codes of accounts and recommends appropriate modifications and revisions. This includes training in the proper use and definitions for the cost accounts.
- Investigates the requirements for estimating and/or cost control data for a specific discipline/other specialty application.
- Collects and classifies cost engineering data.
- Performs data analysis and development.
Required skills and abilities
- Experience performing quantity take-offs, statistical analysis, and computer operations, or skilled in understanding technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge in the use of computers for executing work processes.
- Knowledge in capital cost and services estimating.
- Intermediate level of knowledge of engineering, procurement, contracts, construction, and start-up work processes, as performed by Bechtel.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction management customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or practical experience.
- Knowledge of financial reporting systems and controller account codes, and understanding of Controller instructions, which impact Project Controls (including Project Financial Status Reports and Earned Revenue Determination Data).
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction or related field.
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in project controls with emphasis on cost and project estimating. In lieu of degree, 9 years of related work experience required.