Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £0.00 per day + negotiable day rate inside of IR35
12 months ago
Cost Estimator based in Birmingham on a 1 year contract starting in August 2021 with emphasis on OLE Systems, Construction Management, Cost Estimating and Data Analysis.
HS2 is the second High Speed Rail project in the UK and provides high speed travel from London to Birmingham and the north of England. In doing so, it provides major benefits in network capacity, connectivity and growth for the UK. HS2 Ltd is the Non?Governmental Public Body established to deliver HS2.
- Develops summary and detailed estimates for the estimating process across the company, providing accurate and robust figures to be used by internal and external stakeholders.
- Takes a lead role in estimate reviews and presentations and provides and supports data and cost analysis.
Key functions and responsibilities of the role:
- Deliver estimates and provide input for detailed/bottom - up forecasting outturns against benchmarks, norms and current progress.
- Incorporates best practice from industry estimating and related controls services to support consistent best in class approaches and decision making.
- Provide support to the development of programme wide models including (amongst others) indirect costs, whole life, and prelims.
- Responsible for reviewing estimates from consultants and provides recommendation on OLE systems costs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Degree in engineering, construction management, business management or related field.
- Knowledge of OLE systems, suppliers, products and costs.
- Extensive knowledge of capital cost estimating.
- Demonstrated ability to readily analyse estimate data and correlate to other projects and to conceptualize the total project scope.
- Experience working with multiple estimating disciplines and a matrix organization including Construction, Engineering, Project Controls, Procurement, Contracts and Commissioning to collect all necessary data on scope and quantities to prepare accurate estimates.
- Must demonstrate advanced level of expertise in the use of MS Word, PowerPoint, Power BI and Excel, typically acquired through multiple years of experience.
- Knowledge of engineering and/or construction management.
- Makes estimating decisions through evaluation of scope (including OLE), contract, desired estimate type/quality and time/resources available.
- Works within broadly defined guidelines, principles and policies providing an influential role persuading and advising others in achieving project goals. Some highly complex decision making is escalated to the Estimating Manager, or made collectively with input from Cost Analyst.
- Makes decisions within the boundaries of his responsibilities and accountability in role, within the central estimating team.
FACTS AND FIGURES
Limited budgetary responsibility and indirect impact on overall HS2 budget through route, station and depot design.
- This supporting role interfaces with internal stakeholders predominantly within HS2 Ltd.
- This role is supportive to the central estimating team that looks at Business Intelligence, data analysis, inflation, material prices etc. they are the focal point for the business, both externally & internally.
- The role supports the central application of systems and total cost stack reporting.
- Relates to OLE Engineering functions to support decision making.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others' health and safety - including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role - by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 S.A.F.E programme principles.
- Cooperate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
- Advocate and promote the company's well-being strategy and policies.