£80k - 100k per year
about 1 year ago
The Group Design Manager will support the Business through provision of Engineering, Design and Consultancy Services.
Deputise as required for the Engineering & Design Director
This is a challenging and diverse role operating across a wide range of highly regulated sectors including water, waste water, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, power generation, fine chemicals, food, and beverage.
The candidate will support the company their journey in delivering clean energy solutions that are innovative, sustainable, compliant, and cost effective.
We are looking for a high performer with significant technical competence in electrical engineering, combined with proven management and leadership qualities.
A collaborative approach, strong values, and excellent communication skills are essential qualities for this role.
Opportunity exists to progress further to Engineering & Design Director subject to meeting key performance criteria.
Role detail description:
The Group Design Manager will report directly to the Engineering & Design Director and shall support the efficient and effective running of the department.
They will have the responsibility to lead/oversee both mechanical and electrical installation design together with specialist subcontracted services and related designs i.e., Civil, Process, Structural / Steel Work designs.
Strong experience delivering Engineering & Design elements of highly complex multi discipline construction projects.
The post holder will:
▪ Be client facing, nurturing existing client relationships while investigating and developing new ones
▪ Support the Engineering and Design Director with department technical and financial reporting
▪ Oversee department recruitment and development/mentoring of staff
ENG-JD-GDM Revision: 0 Page 1 of 2
▪ Undertake audits and surveys of client existing assets
▪ Act in a consultant and advisory capacity in identifying engineering solutions to meet client technical, cost and schedule needs
▪ Apply sustainable approach in design and seek ways to reduce carbon footprint
▪ Have a strong ability to identify, communicate and manage risk
▪ Undertake feasibility studies
▪ Support internal and external client bid submissions
▪ Review and assess tender documentation for completeness & compliance, identify risk & appropriate risk mitigation measures, identify resource needs and plan the works
▪ Oversee the effective delivery of projects to time, quality, and cost targets by personal leadership or directing other members of the team
▪ Prepare or review and approve contract documentation including Scope of Work and Professional Services Agreements for Design Subcontracts
▪ Manage Design Subcontracts
▪ Manage and oversee generation of concept, developed and detailed design deliverables for mechanical and electrical installation activities
▪ Have in depth knowledge of process engineering discipline and be proficient in the use of Piping and Instrument (P&ID) Diagrams
▪ Identify & implement procedural and policy changes to improve operational efficiency
▪ Provide effective, accurate & efficient technical advice to both internal & external customers
▪ Fulfil ‘Designer’ or ‘Principal Designer’ duty holder responsibilities as defined by the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience
▪ Chartered engineer or working towards chartership
▪ Degree in technical engineering related subject
▪ Strong contractual awareness and financial reporting
▪ Strong experience of delivering highly complex M&E installation designs within highly regulated industry sectors
▪ Strong understanding of design process & associated M&E design documentation
▪ Project lifecycle experience
▪ Strong experience using AutoCAD, Plant3D and other Computer Aided Design tools
▪ Experience in digital engineering tools and technologies to deliver 3D and BIM level 2 designs
▪ Knowledge of quality assurance, accounting, data and administrative management practices and procedures
▪ Knowledge of traditional building services design
▪ Hazardous Area Design
▪ Awareness of functional safety requirements to ISO 61508 and 61511
▪ Knowledge of human resources management practices and procedures
▪ Project management qualification (Desired)