Functional Safety Engineer - Norwich
over 3 years ago
Functional Safety Engineer
Contract Position, Norwich
12 Month Contract
Our client, a leading independent Oil & Gas Company operating in many countries across the globe. This opportunity is available in our UK subsidiary which is one of the largest operators in the Southern North Sea.
As a responsible operator, we are proud to be a partner of choice and to maintain the highest safety and environmental standards. Working within our Process Safety Team this position will be responsible for leading risk assessments and LOPA studies of our clients Assets and participating in HAZOP's as required. You will be an integral part of the team offering wider support as the business dictates, supporting any new planned activities.
This is a 12 month contract position, based in our clients Norwich office, working Monday to Friday.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Part of the process safety team delivering the process safety improvement programme
- Ensure compliance with all aspects of health, safety and environmental legislation within sphere of responsibility
- Act as Single Point of Accountability for specific project delivery in the Process Safety team, and provide input where required to projects carried out by the operations or projects teams
- Be able to chair and lead LOPA studies on PUK assets as part of PUK's extensive ongoing process safety programme.
- Be able to fully specify Safety Requirement Specifications, carry out SIF verification, develop appropriate test procedures and execute functional safety assessments as required on behalf of the TA.
- Participate in ongoing HAZOP studies.
- Management of the SIF database
Knowledge & Experience Required
- FS Eng (TUV Rheinland) qualified and familiar with the implementation of IEC61508/61511.
- Experienced in Layer Of Protection Analysis studies.
- Experience of SIL verification and functional safety assessments.
- A knowledge of Process control systems and alarm management.
- Process/Operational engineering experience in a technical role within the Oil and Gas or Petrochemicals industry preferred.
- Experience of using ABB Trac, Safety Insight or similar software products for SIF management
- Awareness of project management fundamentals
- Awareness of management of change processes
- Risk Management - Practical knowledge of risk management within an operational set-up, preferably with actual exposure/experience on an operational site.
- Experience of working in the oil and gas or petro-chemical industry.
- Excellent team working skills and a strong communicator with the ability to interact with organisational personnel at all levels and with contract personnel with whom the individual would have direct working contact.
- Good time management skills and an ability to plan and organise both work activities and the resources required to execute said work activities.
- Able to proactively apply previous lessons learnt
- Able to provide integrity and enforce appropriate standards in spite of pressure from other personnel focussing on time and costs.
- Able to recognise risks and hazards.
- Able to prevent conflicts between activities in support of business priorities.
- Well-developed interpersonal and leadership skills, self-motivated and able to motivate and inspire others.
- Able to work with others using a variety of influencing skills to avoid conflict and arrive at the best overall outcome from a business and HSE perspective.
- Open mindedness and the ability to challenge conventional methods of working, examine multiple options and select the preferred solution. Able to prioritise activities.
- An enthusiastic approach with a keenness to learn and develop best in class working relationships with contractors and fellow employees alike.
- FS Eng (TUV) Rheinland qualified
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline.