12 months ago
The Head of Health and Safety Core leads a highly skilled team of health and safety professionals across several varied work streams within the HSE Directorate to support achieving Target Zero across the Programme. This is a critical leadership role overseeing Business Resilience & Security, the H&S Improvements Programme and H&S Reporting and Delivery. As client hands over to the Infrastructure Managers (RFLI, LU) and the rail enters revenue service the focus and emphasis for the Crossrail Programme is one of completion and close out. The Head of H&S Core will provide the H&S functional support, directly and through their team, to closing the Programme and completing all Crossrail works safely. The Head of H&S Core deputises for the HSE Director.
- Manage a core team of H&S specialists and provides appropriate support to the Programme and Tier 1 contractors in meeting the requirements. Involvement in the design of the H&S organisation to provide seamless uninterrupted functional support to the Programme through completion and close out.
- Support in the delivery of legal responsibilities and Target Zero aspirations.
- Lead the development of functional support (resources and plans) for the close out and completion of the Programme. Act as the champion for work streams associated with close out and completion.
- Support the linkages with TfL to provide visibility of the Programme, from a shared learning perspective and to draw on opportunity for alignment of processes in the close out phases
- Deputise for the HSE Director providing support to the Executive and CEO as requested and as is necessary e.g. through periods of annual leave
- Lead the assessment process to ensure that the health and safety systems operating and its stakeholders conform to the requirements specified.
- Communicate the standard of health and safety compliance to appropriate management forums and gain agreement to any next steps for the management team.
- Manage the reporting of data and analysis of trends within the H&S function, through oversight of the H&S Reporting Manager. Support the HSE Director through the preparation of appropriate data, reports, papers or presentations to identified stakeholders.
- Manage the Business Resilience and Security function, including incident management, business resilience and continuity, and transition of the resilience function into the Operational Railway (Elizabeth Line)
- Provide management and support to the H&S Improvements Specialist(s) in the design and implementation of Target Zero and other H&S and OH initiatives.
- Support the development and communication of a Health and Safety Strategy that sets out H&S objectives and requirements for the delivery of a Target Zero ·programme.
- Monitor and act as subject matter expert in its roles as Client, Principal Designer and Designer to ensure that the necessary competence and resources to manage its duties under the CDM Regulations.
- To manage the planning and implementation of risk mitigation programmes including inspections, safety training/briefings and occupational health and safety compliance.
- Ensure relevant H&S records (e.g. policy documentation, procedures, risk assessments, safety data sheets, risk registers, fire drills and training records) are kept, maintained and updated as and when necessary utilising the Crossrail eB system and SharePoint.
- Provide advice and assistance across the wider programme so that others understand their health and safety obligations and how to achieve them.
- Proven experience of delivering in a similar role.
- Evidence of successful management in a complex organisation with multiple interfaces.
- Qualified to degree level with a NEBOSH Diploma or (S)NVQ level 5 or equivalent, in occupational health and safety supported by appropriate and relevant continuous professional development.
- Chartered Member of IOSH - working towards may be considered for the right candidate.
- Experience in construction, engineering or rail environment advantageous.