about 2 years ago
Health & Safety Business Manager | Health, Safety & Environmental
- Purpose of the Job
To provide support to the Health and Safety Director in resolving day-to-day issues which arise across the H&S, Assurance and Business Resilience agenda.
- Principal Accountabilities
- Take responsibility for resolving and managing strategy and special projects issues, and work with senior managers in H&S. Support the achievement of the strategic objectives and long-term development of the directorate, whilst developing policy, maintaining procedures and undertaking special projects to enable the Director to focus on the most critical issues.
- Coordinate the production and submission of high-quality papers and reports, managing directorate led projects which contribute to the strategic objectives of H&S.
- Take a lead on ensuring the H&S strategy is being delivered within the directorate, working with senior managers, as requested by the Director.
- Coordinate the writing and managing of the directorate's reports for the Client's Board and additional committees, ensuring all submissions are of high quality and on time.
- Support the H&S Coordinator to manage the directorate budget and the directorate's input to the annual business planning process as necessary.
- Undertake tasks assigned by the Director, aimed at ensuring the Director is able to focus on timely resolution of the most critical issues, often to tight deadlines.
- Manage projects and project teams on behalf of the Director when requested.
- Receive, interpret and analyse Client and main Contractors reports and presentations and brief the Director and their direct reports on key themes and areas of impact for H&S.
- Canvass content, comments and feedback and ensure action as appropriate on a range of issues as delegated by the Director.
- Provide assistance to the Director as required.
- Work closely with the Programme Directorate to ensure consistent and aligned support and advice to project teams.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to the Client's Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate with Client in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for Client's vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Client's Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put Client's information or information systems at risk.
- Main Challenges of the Job
The H&S Business Manager will work with a high degree of autonomy, reporting to the H&S Director. The post holder is expected to work to strict, regular deadlines, delivering high-quality deliverables. Decision-making constraints as agreed with the Director. The role will entail delivering through others, as H&S is 'in the line', this will mean holding people to account for deadlines and commitments.
- Person Specification
- Experience in a similar or relevant position in a corporate or public sector environment.
- Experience of working within a large and complex organisation with a high customer service ethos.
- A good knowledge of Client's purpose and remit
- Strong influencing skills and commercial acumen to employ a variety of tactics to achieve objectives, including discussion, persuasion and negotiation, whilst building and maintaining effective long-term working relationships.
- Strong ability to prioritise activities and respond positively to pressure and aggressive deadlines whilst maintaining a strong focus on accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A proactive, flexible, hands-on approach to identification and resolution of problems.
- Motivates self to overcome potential barriers and obstacles.
- Experience of working with and balancing the needs of a number of key stakeholder groups.
- Highly driven individual with strong organisational skills and the ability to manage numerous tasks concurrently.