Greater London, England
£0.01 - £1.01 per day + market rates inside of IR35
about 2 years ago
Health and Safety Business Manager on a Rail Project in London
Purpose of the Job
To provide support to the Health and Safety Director in resolving day-to-day issues which arise across the H&S, Assurance and Business Resilience agenda.
- Take responsibility for resolving and managing strategy and special projects issues, and work with senior managers in H&S staff as required.
- Support the achievement of the strategic objectives and long-term development of the directorate, whilst developing policy, maintaining procedures and undertaking special projects to enable the Director to focus on the most critical issues.
- Coordinate the production and submission of high-quality papers and reports, managing directorate led projects which contribute to the strategic objectives of H&S.
- Take a lead on ensuring the H&S strategy is being delivered within the directorate, working with senior managers, as requested by the Director.
- Coordinate the writing and managing of the directorate's reports for the Crossrail Board and additional committees, ensuring all submissions are of high quality and on time.
- Support the H&S Coordinator to manage the directorate budget and the directorate's input to the annual business planning process as necessary.
- Undertake tasks assigned by the Director, aimed at ensuring the Director is able to focus on timely resolution of the most critical issues, often to tight deadlines.
- Manage projects and project teams on behalf of the Director when requested.
- Receive, interpret and analyse Client reports and presentations and brief the Director and their direct reports on key themes and areas of impact for H&S.
- Canvass content, comments and feedback and ensure action as appropriate on a range of issues as delegated by the Director.
- Provide assistance to the Director as required.
- Work closely with the Programme Directorate to ensure consistent and aligned support and advice to project teams.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate with Client in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for Client's vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Client's Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put Client's information or information systems at risk.
Main Challenges of the Job
The H&S Business Manager will work with a high degree of autonomy, reporting to the H&S Director. The post holder is expected to work to strict, regular deadlines, delivering high-quality deliverables. Decision-making constraints as agreed with the Director. The role will entail delivering through others, as H&S is 'in the line', this will mean holding people to account for deadlines and commitments.
- Experience in a similar or relevant position in a corporate or public sector environment.
- Experience of working within a large and complex organisation with a high customer service ethos.
- A good knowledge of Client's purpose and remit.
- Strong influencing skills and commercial acumen to employ a variety of tactics to achieve objectives, including discussion, persuasion and negotiation, whilst building and maintaining effective long-term working relationships.
- Strong ability to prioritise activities and respond positively to pressure and aggressive deadlines whilst maintaining a strong focus on accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A proactive, flexible, hands-on approach to identification and resolution of problems.
- Motivates self to overcome potential barriers and obstacles.
- Experience of working with and balancing the needs of a number of key stakeholder groups.
- Highly driven individual with strong organisational skills and the ability to manage numerous tasks concurrently.