Legal - Banking & Finance Associate 4-6PQE - London
about 1 year ago
As soon as possible
Liquid error: internal
Job Title: Banking & Finance Associate 4-6PQE (Leveraged Finance) Location: London
About Our Client
Top ranking US International Law Firm with a global footprint and recognition as being one of the elite law firms and market leaders worldwide. Their banking group is a multidisciplinary and flexible team servicing a wide range of clients in some of the largest and most complex and innovative financing transactions worldwide. Their London team are considered to be one of the leading leveraged and acquisition finance practices, and regularly advise financial sponsors, corporate borrowers and lenders in both public and private leveraged and acquisition financings. In addition to leveraged finance, a substantial part of the group's practice comprises real estate finance, investment grade finance, restructuring, receivables financing, capital call / fund financing and advising on "alternative" funding techniques, including total return swaps, credit default swaps and repurchase agreements.
The team in London works closely with the finance practices within their other international offices, which leads to a necessary, sound understanding of techniques and challenges thrown up by those jurisdictions and, most importantly how terms and structures developed in the US might be safely adapted to European financings. Integration of teams across all offices is key to providing the high level of service our clients demand. Few transactions are purely domestic and solid transaction management skills are key to the role.
You will be required to undertake a wide variety of work reflecting the spectrum of the group's practice. Working within a small and close-knit team, you will have the chance to work on market leading, high profile, cross-border transactions, advising both financial institutions and borrower clients from around the world. You will be regularly exposed to clients from the start and will be encouraged to market to those clients to build the firm's relationship. You will also be expected to prepare and deliver seminars to members of the group, other practice groups and clients. There is no rigid development path: as your seniors feel you are ready, you will be asked to tackle the next challenge. Your development is as key to the group as it is to you.
Skills and Capabilities required:
- 4-6 year PQE with a top tier law firm
- Relevant post qualification experience in the London market or experience in a similar common law jurisdiction (although those with less or more relevant experience will be considered on their merits).
- Understanding of different capital structures and the characteristics of the component tiers
- Appreciation of how PE houses work and familiarity with the different stages of PE transactions
- Sufficient familiarity and confidence to take the lead on the drafting and negotiation of commitment papers and definitive loan and intercreditor documents;
- Good familiarity with the primary LMA documents, including in particular the investment grade and leveraged finance facility agreements and the LMA intercreditor agreements
- Preferably - but not essentially - experience in one or both of real estate finance and restructuring
- Complete understanding of English law security
- Experience of managing the closing of transactions and the condition precedent process
- Enthusiasm and an ability to work to demanding timetables for very demanding and clever clients
- Strong client skills and an enthusiasm to develop client relationships and new business opportunities
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills are required as well as the ability to demonstrate initiative. You must also possess the skills to take on a high degree of responsibility and manage a challenging work load within a fast paced and friendly environment.
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills are required as well as the ability to demonstrate initiative
- Work effectively with colleagues and First in class team playing skills
- First-class academic record is essential
- Highly competitive benefits package. As of 2021, the package includes:
- Discretionary year-end bonus
- Technology allowance
- 22 days holiday and 3 personal days
- Enhanced Family leave
- Private medical insurance
- Permanent health insurance
- Life insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Gym allowance
Training and Development
- Sophisticated training programme that includes both in-house and external seminars and training sessions.
- Provide "on-the-job" training and constructive "real-time" partner feedback.
- Formal training programme, which includes:
- Regular private equity team meetings
- Regular corporate know-how meetings.
- Weekly and monthly training seminars and workshops
- Live video-links to seminars presented across their network of offices