Life Science - Principal Mechanical Engineer - Warrington/Hybrid
about 1 year ago
6 Months Renewable Contract
Principal Mechanical Engineer
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will support the Business through the provision of Mechanical Engineering, Design and Consultancy Services.
This is a challenging and diverse role operating in a wide range of highly regulated sectors including water, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, fine chemicals, food, and beverage.
Role detail description:
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will report directly to the Group Design Manager and shall support the efficient and effective running of the department.
They will have the responsibility to lead the mechanical piping engineering and design team and mechanical services related designs by others i.e., Structural / Steel Work designs.
The post holder will:
- Undertake audits and surveys of client existing assets.
- Act in a consultant and advisory capacity in identifying engineering solutions to meet client technical, cost and schedule needs.
- Apply a sustainable approach in design and seek ways to reduce carbon footprint.
- Have a strong ability to identify, communicate and manage risk.
- Undertake feasibility studies.
- Support bid submissions.
- Review and assess tender documentation for completeness & compliance, identify risk & appropriate risk mitigation measures, identify resource needs and plan the works.
- Manage the effective delivery of projects to time, quality, and cost targets by personal leadership or directing other members of the team.
- Prepare or review and approve contract documentation including Scope of Work and Professional Services Agreements for Design Subcontracts.
- Manage Design Subcontracts.
- Provide concept, developed and detailed design deliverables for mechanical pipework installations and associated mechanical services installations (Including 3D Model, piping isometrics, general arrangement drawings, bill of materials, design risk register, steelwork support details, valve/equipment schedules, specifications etc.).
- Have significant experience in the application of standard pipework design codes including; ASME B31.1 ASME B31.3, BS EN 13480, etc. Including understanding of stress calculations.
- Have significant experience in the application of Pressure Equipment Regulations (PED).
- Have in-depth knowledge of process engineering discipline and be proficient in the use of Piping and Instrument (P&ID) Diagrams.
- Mentor/train other mechanical team members.
- Identify & implement procedural and policy changes to improve operational efficiency.
- Provide effective, accurate & efficient technical advice and CAD services to both internal & external customers.
- Fulfil ‘Designer’ or ‘Principal Designer’ duty holder responsibilities as defined by the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartership
- Degree in technical engineering related subject
- Strong experience in complex highly regulated construction projects
- Strong understanding of design process & associated documentation
- Have significant experience in the application of standard pipework design codes including; ASME B31.1 ASME B31.3, BS EN 13480, etc. Including understanding of stress calculations
- Significant experience in the application of Pressure Equipment Regulations (PED)
- Project lifecycle experience
- Strong experience using AutoCAD, Plant3D and other Computer-Aided Design tools
- Experience in digital engineering tools and technologies
- Experience in undertaking LIDAR Point cloud surveys
- Knowledge of quality assurance, accounting, data and administrative management practices and procedures
- Hazardous Area Design
- Knowledge of human resources management practices and procedures
- Project management qualification (Desired)