£61.00 - £80.00 per hour + Public Sector IR35
over 2 years ago
Delivering a Geological Disposal Facility (GDF) for the UK is mission critical for both the Government and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA). The UK requires a safe and permanent way to dispose of higher activity radioactive waste. This safe disposal route is needed to support the Government's nuclear new build programme. Radioactive Waste Management (RWM) is developing its safety case capability and strategy in order to make a step-change in the alignment of its disposal system safety case to regulatory requirements and the needs of the GDF siting process. This programme of work will align with RWM's developing near-term work plan and technical programme, ensuring that future formal safety case submissions will reflect best industry and international practices. Moreover, it is necessary that such submissions will be fully integrated between transport, operational and environmental aspects.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
The required expert will have the following attributes / experience:
- Expertise in pre-construction safety cases
- Extensive expertise in regulatory interface management (EA and ONR)
- Extensive industry experience in technical support to nuclear operations
- Engineering leadership at senior level in nuclear industry with broad lifecycle experience in remediation, waste management, operations and environment
- Operations / engineering management experience at an operating nuclear facility
- The Safety Case Expert will be supported by a Safety Case Professional identified by the expert and who has a track-record of collaborative delivery working with that expert (subject of a separate CTS).
The deliverables for this task will be:
- Identification of existing capability gaps (Dec 2018)
- Development of a forward programme of safety case development work (Mar 2019)
- Definition of future strategic direction (roadmap v0) of an integrated safety case project (Mar 2019)
- Advise on regulatory interface development in order to achieve required permissions / licensing (Jul 2019) Agree year 2 activities (to be agreed at a project gate in August 2019).