2 months ago
Responsible for the organisation and direction of construction engineering personnel and activities relating to construction engineering, subcontracts, and engineering liaison to the design functional group for a specified package of works. Interprets design drawings and specifications. Supervises field verification of materials. Provides technical direction to construction engineers and superintendents in a wide range of construction engineering and design functions relating to multi-discipline engineering in an area or to a single discipline on the overall project.
The project involves the extension of existing airport pier facilities, passenger gate lounges/services, creation of additional aircraft stands, taxiway/pavement interfaces and supporting utility provisions, and candidate should have experience of similar scope.
The package of works involves the architectural fit out of the Pier 6 Western Extension project. Package includes, but not limited to, External and internal wall construction (blockwork, partition and fire walls), internal glazing, flooring, ceilings, finishes, retail fit out, architectural steelwork, wayfinding, and existing building refurbishment.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and operational guidance from assigned Construction Manager.
- Provides technical and administrative direction to assigned team of Field Engineer/s, Quantity Surveyor/s and Planner. Team will also have functional managers on the project.
- Jobsite contacts are with jobsite personnel including superintendents and subcontractors related to construction engineering. Additionally, contact and management of customer's resident engineering and operating personnel including airfield and terminal stakeholders to coordinate construction activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Ensures implementation of a compliant Environmental, Health & Safety program for responsible projects, including contractor activities. Ensures design is in accordance with CDM regulations, EHS laws and regulations. Leads by example in maintaining a high level of environment, health and safety compliance.
- Ensures scope, design basis and objectives are defined, best practices/lessons learned reviewed, detailed work plans, schedules, budgets and procedures are established, including Execution Plan.
- Coordinates with engineering on constructability and design issues. Establishes a Design/Field Engineering working relationship and lines of communication with the Project Engineer including agreement on engineering deliverables. Responsible for control, reporting and forecasting.
- Promotes the use of constructability reviews during project design and execution.
- Monitors and controls all contractual commitments to ensure that all work is being performed in accordance with the specifications, drawings and terms of the contract, that a trend program is in place, and that early warning and compensation events are processed in a timely manner. Implements and maintains a change management control system.
- Identifies quality requirements and ensures the proper processes are identified and implemented to achieve contractual quality commitments. Assesses customer perception of quality on a regular periodic basis. Strives for a high level of quality in the work method and product. Right first time.
- Undertakes tender evaluations for commitments on all purchase orders and contracts, and approves critical changes to these documents in accordance with the delegated commitment authority.
- Ensures performance reviews and objective setting are conducted on staff in accordance with established schedule, and the team have adequate and appropriate training. Allocate tasks and responsibility to project team members, and ensure effective personnel utilisation. Motivate and manage staff and ensure correct level of inter project communication is prevalent.
- Maintains an effective relationship with functional departments through continued engagement and following procedures. Utilise the functional team to seek advice and guidance on programme, project, staffing or personnel issues.
- Coordinates all jobsite contractual activities. Ensures required permits and licenses are in place prior to the start of the affected work at site. Ensures timely issuance of project airport communications.
- Leads the project from funding approval to handover and close out. Responsible for undertaking the correct customer governance and deliverables to acquire staged toll gate approvals.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the design, through managing engineering resources, designers and interfaces with contractors. This shall include design optioneering, acquiring RIBA staged design approvals, gathering of all as-built information, and resolution of design issues (including RFIs, NCRs, FCDs and concession requests).
- Chair and minute project progress meetings.
- Encourage innovation from both staff and contractors to the benefit of the project. Promote continuous improvements within the project team.
- Set targets to improve productivity and efficiency across the project including KPIs for EHS, sustainability, defects, etc.
- Responsible for implementing, reviewing and issuing project progress and performance curves, metrics, trackers and reports, which provide the project team, Programme Manager, Functional Managers and Senior Leaders with leading and lagging information on the project.
- Responsible for full project close out and handover activities (PHO1 to PHO Final).
- Directs preparation of cost estimates for construction activities and coordinates the preparation of cost reports, forecast and progress reports. Reviews and provides input to project controls documents on progress relating to cost and schedule.
- Ensures implementation of the project construction procedures and coordinates any deviations.
- Coordinates with the superintendents and subcontractors to plan construction schedules.
- Directs the maintenance of construction engineering records for job history. Supervises the receiving, distribution and filing of plans and specifications.
- Implements controls over variables affecting job progress to ensure engineering and procurement provide timely delivery of drawings, materials and equipment.
- Reviews and comments on subcontractor deliverables, including reports, plans and schedules, and ensures team review and return subcontractor deliverables in a timely manner.
- Identify and report project risk, and issues, and escalate to Programme and Construction Manager where required.
- Coordinates 3rd party retail fit out requirements and contractors.
- Knowledge of a single technical engineering discipline, contracts administration (NEC Form) and/or cost and scheduling relating to the construction of airport projects. Architectural / building fit out experience preferable.
- Knowledge of the use of subcontracts; knowledge of the contractor/subcontractor's responsibilities contained in subcontract documents. Prior experience supervising and administering subcontractors. Preferably experienced in administrating the NEC 3 and/or 4 form of contract.
- Experience in complex stakeholder management and negotiation.
- Knowledge and experience in contract formation, risk analysis, negotiations, and implementation, including change control, documentation management, cost/time trend program.
- Knowledge of cross functional work processes and interface knowledge, especially Project Controls, Supply Chain management, Quality management and the ability to manage the relationships/interfaces with management and functional groups.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills, interpersonal skills, open-minded with an energetic and proactive personal style.
- Familiarity with current industry quality standards.
- Awareness of environmental compliance laws and requirements.