Newcastle on Clun
18 days ago
Position: Senior Primary Plant Engineer
Duration: 6 Months
JOB FAMILY Design & Engineering
ROLE PURPOSE The primary responsibility of this role is to engineer designs for High Voltage (HV) Plant in electrical substation projects, focusing on systems up to 400kV. Refer to the attached appendix for detailed roles and responsibilities of the HV Plant Engineer.
- Ensure adherence to industry-standard Quality, Health & Safety, and Environmental Procedures and the Business Process Manual.
- Contribute to the development and training needs of the Design Team based on individual skill levels and experience.
- Collaborate with the Project Manager, customers, external suppliers, and other Engineering Services Departments upon contract award to coordinate requirements.
- Define the Design content of work packages, ensuring alignment with project plans and developing detailed engineering design plans.
- Effectively control, update, and report on progress throughout the contract, providing estimates to complete and highlighting potential resource issues to the Design Manager/Project Manager.
- Coordinate with Engineering Services Departments to specify and quantify equipment/materials for optimal benefit.
- Report variations in the Contract Scope of Work to the Design Manager/Project Manager, seeking approval before proceeding.
- Prepare instructions for all materials and special tools required for the site, communicating this information to the Project Manager.
- Identify and comply with relevant standards, Customer requirements, National/International Standards, legislation, and contract specifications.
- Design work with consideration for Health, Safety & Environmental Procedures, producing Designer Risk Assessments as needed for compliance with current CDM regulations.
- Examine contract documentation to establish the Company’s scope of work, highlighting any differences with the tendered contract requirement to the Project Manager.
- Attend and contribute to Design Review/Contract Close-out Meetings, ensuring timely action on appropriate items.
- Liaise with Designers and Draughtspersons regarding drawings requirements.
- Conduct Engineering Review and Contractor Design Approval (TP141) for designs provided by other engineers.
- Initiate the preparation of required drawings and approve all drawings for customer/sub-contractor interface.
- Collaborate with Engineering Services Departments to prepare Installation and Commissioning packages as per the Site Installation & Commissioning Schedule.
- Develop special Test Specifications and Procedures for the Inspection and Test Department.
- Receive "As Installed" site drawings and documentation, collaborating with Engineering Services Departments to ensure accurate final records are prepared and submitted to the client per contract specifications.
- Highlight any design issues to the Assistant Design Manager/Project Manager, proposing potential solutions for review.
- Conduct engineering checks as necessary in accordance with the Business Process Manual.
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum HNC in Electrical Engineering or equivalent; BSc/MSc preferable.
- Experience as an HV Substation/Primary Plant Design Engineer, including liaising with customers and suppliers.
- Proficient in overall design and specification of HV Substation Plant electrical power systems and associated components.
- Basic understanding of Protection & Control (P&C) aspects is preferable.
- Ability to perform calculations demonstrating the integrity of designs.
- TP141 HV Substation qualification is advantageous.
- AutoCAD experience is beneficial.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Packages.