Manchester, Greater Manchester
7 months ago
Power Generation- Construction Engineer
Our client is a new independent power producer primarily focused on building and operating highly flexible small-mid scale embedded peaking generation and battery storage projects in the UK, connected at 11kV and above. Typically installs reciprocating gas engine or battery storage plants between 2- 10MW dependent on available grid capacity with a smaller number of 20 MW gas engine projects. They are now seeking an experienced Construction Engineer to support the development of their growing portfolio of gas-fired and battery storage projects across the UK. Our proprietary development pipeline has a spread of early to late stage projects, with a number of projects already having reached financial close with construction underway.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
- Supporting and managing the safe construction of specific projects alongside the Construction Team to include project management and engineering support services to specified operational and development projects at the direction of the Construction Manager
- Ensure the personal and team delivery of a number of development and construction projects in accordance with agreed timescales and costs.
- To support the Construction Manager to effectively monitor, manage, control and report on capital spend for designated projects/sites on a continuous basis.
- Provide reporting and administrative support to the Construction Manager to ensure project spend is within agreed company financial model & authorisation limits.
- Ensure that all projects managed are compliant with planning requirements, environmental permits and current H&S legislation, including the CDM Regulations (acting in the role as Client) but encompassing all applicable elements of legislation affecting the project.
- To utilise the most suitable form of contract(s) for the individual project to deliver the projects and specific requirements and to ensure agreed risk to client is minimised.
- Ensure full stakeholder satisfaction throughout the duration of the team's projects and that all project documentation is compiled and distributed within appropriate timescales.
- Ensure all projects are managed in compliance with the Company's project management tools and processes to ensure safe and effective project management and reporting including Project Schedules, Gantt charts, risk registers, weekly and monthly reporting, responsibility matrices, financial tracking and cost analysis.
- Act as a representative of the Company as directed when liaising with utilities providers, regulators, landowners and the general public maintaining a professional and courteous approach at all times.
- Monitor and review changes to health and safety, environmental and quality legislation and ensure information is disseminated to team and department as appropriate.
- Monitor and review emerging technologies, technical developments and engineering practices, providing management data as necessary.
- Assist with other activities in the Construction Team of other Departments or other areas of the company as requested from time to time.
- Work collectively with the Construction and Operations Team to ensure the smooth handover of the project to the Operations team with minimal outstanding snagging items.
- Provide construction advice to other departments to facilitate the delivery projects into the construction and operations pipeline.
- Support the Construction Team in undertaking due diligence support on potential acquisitions.
- Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge of the embedded power generation industry (including emerging technologies), environmental legislation, planning regulations and CDM Regulations
- Well organised and logical thinker. Self-motivated with the ability to work to deadlines and constantly juggle priorities.
- Good team management, written and oral skills. Team player with a sense of humour and resilience.
- Computer literate with good knowledge of project management software and CAD.
- Full driving licence.
Good knowledge of the embedded power generation industry.
Good knowledge of Contract procurement & administration.#
Good knowledge of the environmental permitting regime.
Good knowledge H&S legislation & requirements.
Good knowledge of planning regulations and requirements.
Excellent knowledge of ICE, NEC & IET MF1 forms of Contract.
Delivery of projects involving spark ignition gas engine technology.
Delivery of independent electrical connections
Delivery of industrial scale natural gas connections
Well organised and logical thinker, self-motivated with the ability to work to deadlines and constantly juggle priorities.
Competent negotiator and contract administrator.
Good written and oral skills.
Computer literate and numerate with business acumen.
Effective communicator maintaining an honest, straightforward, professional and courteous approach at all times. Good Manager of consultants and contractors for project delivery.
Proficient in the use of AutoCAD
Degree in Engineering (Civils, Electrical, Mechanical).
IOSH Managing Safely Certificate.
Attained Chartered status in applicable discipline.