Up to £0.00 per day + negotiable day rate inside of IR35
4 months ago
The Programme Engineering Manager on a London Rail Project, will be accountable for engineering programme management across all elements, supporting both the Lead Programme Delivery Engineers, Manager of Engineering and Heads of Discipline, providing both day to day management and technical leadership to the Technical and Delivery Directorate's.
He/she will ably support the delivery directors on all engineering programme matters, ensuring that integrated solution(s), which meets the requirement(s), are delivered.
The role will require focus on (but not be limited to) overseeing the technical aspects of engineering, construction, testing and commissioning and engineering safety activities and will require engagement with the Delivery Directors, whilst being supported by Subject Matter Experts, Systems Integration, Engineering and Assurance teams.
- Provide programme engineering management to both the Engineering Management Organisation and Chief Engineers Group, using appropriate standards/norms acting as the controlling mind for the schedule and associated programme tools.
- Using Visual Performance Management to develop and maintain a number of Key Performance Indicators (e.g. NCRs, RFIs, ECHRs..) for the Engineering department to enable proactive decision making and performance monitoring
- Build relationships, both internal and external at project, senior management and director levels, to enable successful delivery of the engineering solutions.
- Use technical and commercial knowledge and experience to identify and resolve complex engineering programme issues that present risk to the successful delivery of the Programme. This will require in depth negotiation through to successful solutions.
- Identify, manage and mitigate engineering related risks to the Programme with a focus on the safety, reliability quality, function and performance of operational assets and systems.
- Assist in identifying and promoting the use of smarter/safer/leaner Engineering techniques, technologies and systems including facilitating continuous improvement and a learning culture in relation to the Programme.
- Achieve desired levels of quality through metrics, quantity tracking and analysis of design submission categorisation, promoting 'Right First Time' approach.
- To be responsible for the management of Health and Safety for direct reports.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to the clients target Zero principles.
- Co-operate with Client in all matters relating to health and safety, following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for Clients vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Clients Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put Clients information or information systems at risk.
- Be the Engineering guiding mind for the schedule and associated programme tools.
- Identify bottle necks, blockers and issues that affect the delivery of the schedule.
- Manage large volumes of technical data and beign able to translate these into technical metrics that drive technical performance and programme delivery.
- Using technical metrics to facilitate daily reviews with project teams to maintain focus and drive delivery on key technical assurance deliverables.
- Provide programme level leadership and maintain alignment between technical and delivery teams.
- Securing the appropriate technical endorsements from the relevant Technical Authorities.
- To support compliant handover of the completed works to both railway infrastructure operators by way of regular liaison with the IM.
- To manage the interface and expectations between Chief Engineer's group and Project/Contract/Geographical location.
- To support the PM in determining solutions that are 'best' for project and or programme and ensure is aligned to decisions.
- Ability to manage customer expectations and deliver service to meet these expectations, managing conflicting priorities to achieve tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to coordinate and integrate Engineering activities to deliver assured engineering solutions.
- Proven ability to manage design and design compliance through the Validation and Verification cycle.
- Adaptability, Agility and Flexibility to be applied in line with programme/project requirements
- Preferably Chartered Engineer and or a member of one relevant professional body
- Degree in engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Very broad knowledge of transport systems engineering, operational and commercial systems backed-up by strong aptitude for holistic / integrative thinking.
- Preferably include strong knowledge of engineering contracts management (e.g. NEC) and technical experience and work experience in both the Public and Private sectors.
- Significant knowledge and experience of construction quality systems and processes.
- Experience in a senior role delivering a Railway Systems project including the review of design, construction and test.