Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
£350 - £400 per day + Inside IR35
7 months ago
As the rail industry continues to do significant research and analysis on the impact of weather and climate change on railway infrastructure and operations, our client who manages the rail infrastructure country wide has a need for someone to join them on initially on a contract basis as a Climate Change Adaptation Manager.
The purpose of this role is to lead engagement on research and analysis on weather and climate resilience in, develop an analysis framework to improve access to and use of existing research and provide recommendations for future analysis which will answer key questions that will inform planning and decision making in relation to weather and climate change resilience going forward.
The role is wide ranging and will create work for itself once settled in post. The list below is an initial indication of the types of work the role will get involved with.
- Develop an analysis framework including review of existing research, analysis and tools (primarily internal), a gaps analysis to determine what information Network Rail needs to effectively understand and manage weather and climate change impacts and resilience and identify future research/analysis projects.
- Develop a leading resilience metric to enable NR to track improvements in resilience.
- Support integration of climate change into whole life costing and degradation models
- External engagement to collaborate on projects and identify areas we should be getting involved.
- Communications/briefing to share key information with stakeholders across the business
- Develop online library of useful reports and tools
JOB SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with climate change adaptation, risk and vulnerability research and analysis in the infrastructure sector
- Ability to interpret data to produce management information and recommendations relating to climate change adaptation
- Ability to identify metrics and collect data to monitor performance relating to climate change adaptation
- Good understanding and working knowledge of UKCP18
- Ability to communicate complex information to non-technical audiences
- Relevant successful experience of engaging stakeholders.
- Detailed knowledge of UK climate change adaptation policy
- Detailed knowledge of international research into the impacts of climate change
- Relevant environment or engineering degree
- Ability to influence and engage with decision makers at all levels of seniority
- Working knowledge of research into the implications of climate change for the transport sector.
- Broad understanding of the rail industry/regulated business