Rail - Fleet Engineer
over 3 years ago
Our Client is seeking a technical qualified Fleet Engineer who has worked in the rail freight industry in various capacity to be responsible for the safety of wagons in operation whilst limiting the maintenance costs and down-time to a minimum. In charge of the on-site inspections and monitoring of the maintenance suppliers but also on a daily basis provide support to the Fleet Management team in optimising effectiveness and efficiency.
Ensuring that all planned, predictive and reactive maintenance of the wagons are completed within budget, set timescales and to governing standards.
- Accountable for the planned maintenance of the Wagons and carrying all needed activities to ensure wagons are operational, Establish all the necessary technical instructions to the workshops,
Provide technical support to workshops, Approve estimates and invoices,
Validate the revision dates of wagons and wheelsets,
- Identify spare parts neds and process the requests on the system,
Process exit documentation,
Ensure the recording and traceability of maintenance,
Organize the Deliveries/Redeliveries of wagons
Release the wagon to service,
Make workshops fulfil their requirements (downtimes, quality claims, documentation),
Alert by opening an Incident Report in the event of an anomaly,
Assessment of criticality of events,
- Responsible for compliance with health and safety regulations, quality systems, training and implementing continual improvement.
- Report progress of the maintenance to the Customer Account Supervisors of the Operations Department,
Provide support on customer rebilling.
- Evaluation of the Fleet / Wagon or a component condition in regards of availability, reliability, interoperability and safety criteria, in order to propose safety measures to management.
- Cannot decide to put back in service or leave a wagon in traffic if aware of any deviations of the wagon with maintenance rules or rail regulation.
- Ensure that maintenance providers are working according to Client maintenance manuals/instructions and quality requirements.
- Completeness, consistency and accuracy of Client maintenance manual (instructions) for the area of Competency.
- Support Fleet Managers in identification of parts and processing spare parts requests (for spare parts portfolio)
- Support Fleet Managers in validation of exit documentation,
- Ensure the recording and traceability of maintenance,
- Make workshops fulfill their requirements (downtimes, quality claims, documentation),
- Actively support Fleet Managers when required in establishing proof of Lessee responsibility
- Preparation of wagons for deliveries and redeliveries,
- Monitoring of maintenance suppliers in terms of quality and of safety
- Supporting Logistics in the technical description of wagons spare parts and components
Technical expertise and capacity of analysis are the main characteristics of this pool. The mission of the Fleet Engineer within the Engineering pool is to :
- Monitor the maintenance suppliers by technical visits and quality checks (wagon exit inspections),
- Communicate all the necessary technical instructions to the wheelset centres for the maintenance of the wheelsets,
- Organize with the Operations Department the Deliveries/Redeliveries of wagons,
- Perform the Deliveries/Redeliveries inspections,
- Provide technical Support to Operation / Customers / Engineering,
- Conduct investigations on sites as support of technical expertise,
- Establish instructions for corrective repairs and select workshops (for damages on tracks)
- Release the wagon to service for critical damages,
- Alert by opening an Incident Report in the event of an anomaly,
- Assess the criticality of events,
- Creates parts and part types in Kheops for the Purchase and Logistics Activity.
Initial training and qualifications
HNC in mechanical and electrical engineering
Rail engineer or technician with over 5 years' experience in the rail sector or equivalent
Skills and experience required
- Organized, accurate and meticulous
- Good contact with workshops
- Ability to work in a team
- General mechanics,
- Basics about welding and non-destructive testing,
- Knowledge of wheelsets, bogies and air brakes,
- Knowledge of wagon superstructure equipment and standards regarding wagon design and maintenance
- Manufacturing processes,
- Knowledge Client's maintenance manual