over 2 years ago
Purpose of the Job
To improve health & safety performance of Clients and its contractors. The post-holder works as part of the Health & Safety team to promote improvements in health and safety management and performance. They are to work closely with the Clients project teams to ensure integration of the Client's Target Zero culture into daily work programmes on project sites and to promote various safety improvements and initiatives.
- Principal Accountabilities
- Work with contractors to enable them to understand and deliver their commitments under the contract with regards to health and safety standards.
- Critically review Contractor and designer health and safety related submissions to ensure they meet client and legal requirements (e.g. Construction Phase Plans including designers and High Risk construction risk assessments and associated method statements etc).
- Lead and assist in regular documented monitoring activities including on-site surveillance, process audits and project assessments and other assurance activities.
- Advise Delivery Teams on health and safety matters and assist them to discharge their duties.
- Assist with the sharing of best practice, positive safety performance and learning from incidents, including the development and roll out of health and safety campaigns e.g. Client's stepping up week.
- Lead and assist Client in the development and delivery of Target Zero.
- Produce required reports (including data analysis) and assist Principal Contractors to do similar.
- Assist the Principal Contractor's investigations into incidents as required.
- Assist in the health and safety aspects of Procurement including development of documentation and evaluation of tender submissions.
- Assist with the production of health & safety documentation required for completion and handover including the Health and Safety File, training materials and O&M Manuals.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to the Client's Target Zero principles.
- Main challenges of the job
- Multiple contractor interfaces with varying levels of safety performance.
- Improving health & safety performance over a number of contractors and site locations.
- Working with a number of delivery and functional teams maintaining common approach with other members of the H&S teams.
- Balancing a variety of priorities to ensure timely delivery in accordance with agreed deadlines.
- Developing a collaborative approach to encouraging improvements in health & safety performance.
- Winning the hearts and minds of the contractor community in order to engage them to help raise the bar.
- Person Specification
- Experience in Construction health and safety management.
- Ability to oversee Health and Safety aspects of Construction including Testing & Commissioning.
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate/General Cert with Construction experience would be desirable qualifications.
- Experience of incident investigation.
- Experience of working with M&E during energisation and bringing into use operational infrastructure assets (desirable).
- Experience of developing, managing and delivering health and safety initiatives.
- Experience of communicating health and safety information.
- Experience of undertaking assurance activities.
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as contribute to and support the larger Health and Safety Team.
- Knowledge of CDM requirements.
- Ability to work closely with the Client and Principal Contractor project Team.