almost 2 years ago
There is a requirement for a Media Relations Manager to join a major infrastructure project for about a year on a Fixed-term Contract.
- To provide strategic and operational media relations in support of the overall communications strategy and lead on specific subject areas.
- Support the Head of News in the delivery of strategic and operational media relations, working closely with the Chairman, CEO and Executive team.
- Promote and defend the Client with all media including London, national, local, trade, blogger and international; across print, broadcast and online outlets.
- Proactively develop stories and creative campaign approaches for all relevant media to promote the work and progress of the project and its employees including innovative approaches to communicating the scale and complexity of the Client's work.
- Prepare press statements, press notices, media handling plans, press desk briefs / Q&A and media briefing notes to a high standard. Respond effectively to media enquiries, both immediate and longer term.
- Facilitate media visits to site including documentary filming and newswire photography and arrange media events, as required in line with the strategy.
- Devise and implement media relations strategies and engagement plans and maintain and contribute to communications and external activity planners.
- Source and brief project spokespeople and develop and maintain good contacts with all relevant media.
- Lead on specific communications issues / areas of responsibility as determined by the Head of News and have ability to confidently deputise for Head of News when required.
- Undertake on-call responsibilities and be part of the crisis communications team.
Skills & Experience Required:
- A demonstrable knowledge and experience of managing relations across local, regional, national, international, broadcast and specialist trade media
- Experience of working with broadcast and documentary media and undertaking media relations activity utilising social media, digital imagery and video content
- Able to confidently and effectively manage media enquiries and briefings in line with the overall communications strategy and plan
- Ability to work within a complex organisation and with an understanding of the rail and infrastructure sector and the relevant issues
- Experience of working with senior business leaders, including up to Chief Executive and Chairman level
- Experience of working in a matrixed organisation with multiple internal stakeholders
- Advanced communication skills both written and verbal
- Good interpersonal, communications and negotiating skills with the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external colleagues; a confident communicator at all levels.
- Ability to produce written material to a high standard in a clear and concise manner; ability to brief effectively on a complex and technical issues;
- Ability to work strategically and tactically, contributing to the overall communications strategy and plan
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal guidance.