Rail - Senior Railway Systems Engineer
about 2 years ago
Liquid error: internal
Rail - Senior Railway Systems Engineer
Reporting to: Project Engineering Manager
* To lead the development of all aspects of the railway system development to support submission of the Hybrid Bill. This requires coordination throughout the organisation, facilitating the assurance of technical submissions from Professional Service Consultants (PSCs) to determine end to end compliance with standards and requirements of the totality of the Phase Two network.
* Ensure the Hybrid Bill designs for electrification - the requirements of the 'end state' railway in terms of operability and reliability.
* Lead the provision of expert technical and engineering input from a Railway Systems perspective to support the Hybrid Bill design through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests.
* Provide technical guidance within the team, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support PSCs in delivering the whole railway system.
* Act as the interface between Technical Directorate and the team ensuring design development and issues are consistently addressed.
* Identify, assess and manage project wide design risks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
* Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or relevant industry experience.
* Chartered Engineer (or equivalent relevant experience).
* Detailed knowledge of conventional railway systems and an appreciation of High Speed railway systems and their differences.
* Extensive knowledge of railway operations / engineering design principles required to achieve optimal design outputs.
* Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skills.
* Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of stakeholders through working within a matrix organisation.
* Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
* Strong planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
* A degree of commercial awareness to understand the cost and schedule impacts of technical and other decisions and evaluate the effect of changes to scope
* At least 3 years systems experience working on projects which include responsibility for delivery of traction power and OLE work. Previous DPE, CRE or CEM roles for these disciplines would be an advantage
* Makes complex technical and managerial decisions with respect to the review and assessment of engineering design, negotiating with internal and external stakeholders to ensure consistency and ultimately compliance with standards and regulations.
* Works to develop guidelines, principles and policies to provide consistency. Some highly complex decision-making be escalated to Project Engineering Manager, or made collectively with input from Senior Discipline Engineers.
* Senior Railway Systems Engineer works within the Team providing an essential specialist engineering role. This role involves extensive interaction with multidisciplinary teams across engineering functions as well as providing the link between the area teams and Technical Directorate.
* Work is not allocated in relation to a specific section of the route and instead involves coordination and interface between internal and external third party projects. The role involves regular travel to meetings and events outside the normal place of work, and may require flexible working in order to meet project deadlines.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
* Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others' health and safety - including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role - by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 S.A.F.E programme principles.
* Cooperate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
* Advocate and promote the company's well-being strategy and policies.