2 months ago
Purpose of the Job
Responsible for overseeing the technical aspects of construction, testing and commissioning activities within area of responsibility, supported by Field Engineers for each contract, geographic location and/or for system.
- Has delegated duties and responsibilities of the Supervisor under NEC3 ECC, where agreed.
- Reviewing and accepting Systemwide contractor technical submittals, (including method statements and work package plans where obligated by third party agreements only). Coordinating support for input to this activity from Field Engineering, HSE, Quality Manager, Construction Manager and Railway Systems, as appropriate.
- Ensuring that the Contractor has processes and procedures in place to ensure compliance with the Works Information.
- Ensuring the contractor has the latest approved versions of all technical documents.
- Leading the Field Engineering input to the RFI / NCR / FCD process, and where required coordinating input from the Railway Systems discipline specialists.
- Providing input into engineering solutions/ field sketches/ specifications to resolve site-based queries, with support from Field Engineers, and elevating issues to the Project Field Engineering Manager, Systemwide and/ or the Railway Systems.
- Keeping the Project Manager, Construction Manager and Project Field Engineering Manager Systemwide informed of technical issues on site.
- Monitoring the contractor's compliance with Environmental, Safety & Health requirements, escalating issues and seeking intervention where required.
- Monitoring and supporting the contractor in ensuring that proper processes are identified and implemented to achieve contractual quality compliance with the Works Information.
- Providing input to the review and acceptance of the sub-contractors' and suppliers' Quality Plan.
- Reviewing and accepting installation and test Certificates.
- Reviews and accepts Contractors Red Line drawings and As Built drawings.
- Reviewing the Contractor's Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs), compiling comments, validating the required witness and review points, based on the respective technical and quality specification of the contract, and applicable code requirements.
- Providing technical direction to the Field Engineers for inspections and tests.
- Monitoring the contractor's compliance with their ITPs and partakes in some witness and review points.
- Managing the NCR and snag list process at contract level. Evaluating conformances and assessing contractor recommended dispositions.
- Providing input to the Contract Administrator on costs to be disallowed related to quality issues and NCRs.
- Discharging designated duties under the CDM Regulations 2007, complying with the management arrangements for CDM within the designated area of responsibility.
Main Challenges of the Job
- Responsible for putting in place systems and procedures that will ensure railway engineering works are delivered in accordance with the Technical Assurance Plan, and Systems Integration Management Plans.
- Manage works that have complex interfaces between sub-systems, and with the civil station and Systemwide contracts, which require effective interface management during implementation, testing and commissioning phases.
- To support compliant handover of the completed works to both railway infrastructure operators.
- To ensure contractor compliance with safe methods of railway working, throughout the project execution phases.
- To ensure the internal interfaces between contractors and the external relationships with Network Rail, London Underground and other project partners is managed in such a way as to ensure timely and safe completion of the programme.
- To ensure the Contractor complies with their own quality systems.
- To work with the Project Manager and Project Construction Manager to build effective working relationships at the appropriate level within the contractor's team.
Dimensions & Interfaces (Internal and External)
- Reports to the Project Manager
- Reports functionally to the Project Field Engineering Manager Systemwide and the Field Engineering Manager Delivery.
- Reports functionally to the respective Supervisor (Head of Quality) with respect to Supervisor duties under the NEC3.
- Supervises Field Engineers and project administration staff on the project.
- Works closely with construction management and site management staff, area quality representatives, railway systems team, engineering manager and Chief Engineer's Group and document controllers.
- Degree in engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Relevant experience on a large-scale infrastructure project.
- Experience of managing the construction of significant value packages of work on comparable railway systems engineering project works.
- Significant knowledge and experience of construction quality systems and processes.
- Knowledge of project controls processes.
- Significant knowledge and experience of site-based ES&H processes and procedures/regulations.
- Experience of supervising and administering subcontractors.
- Ideally, experience in a senior role delivering a Platform Screen Doors project including the review of design, construction and test.
- Experience in a senior role delivering a Railway Systems project including the review of design, construction and test.
- Significant experience in the railway industry in a Railway Systems environment