£40000.00 - £47000.00 per annum + benefits
6 months ago
Head of Financial Governance and Treasury
Finance, Business Services
- JOB PURPOSE
The post holder is responsible for managing all travel and expense related activity across HS2 Ltd. The post will build a culture and approach that ensures that HS2 gets best value for money from our travel contracts, travel bookers are trained, have clear responsibilities and are provided clear direction, and that the business complies with the travel policies with a clear and transparent audit trail.
The role will be part of the Business Services Directorate within the Finance Team. The Finance Team is responsible for managing all aspects of the day to day finances of HS2 Ltd. It collects grant funding from the Department for Transport (DfT) which allows HS2 Ltd to pay its staff and suppliers. It applies financial control, cost assurance, and provides analysis and planning.
- Contract management of the key travel and meeting contracts including driving value for money, good service, management of change, verification, challenge and certification of the invoices.
- Administration of the online travel booking portals, managing the pool of 150 travel bookers and ensuring effective management of travel bookings across the business.
- Production of monthly management information for Directors and quarterly updates for Management Committee with a recommendations and improvement actions (covering both data from travel providers and expense claims).
- Management of the 'Travel' mailbox, including responding to policy queries and the reconciliation of prior (line manager) approvals with travel undertaken outside standard policy limits.
- Ongoing analysis of individual travel patterns to determine whether tax is due on the travel undertaken and assistance with completing the tax return to HMRC on travel related activity.
- Preparation of regular travel,expenses and gift and hospitality transparency information for publication on GOV.UK, liaising with communications and ensuring the relevant approvals prior to publication. Production of information to respond to internal and external requests including freedom of information, parliamentary or mayoral questions.
- Work with finance and procurement (government) to extend or re-procure travel contracts as required, producing the business case and approval papers necessary.
- Build a business-wide culture where all staff understand the cost of travel, have a clear understanding of the policy, and travel efficiently and effectively seeking to minimise their travel and cost of travel accordingly. Build capability for prevention, detection, and investigation of any fraudulent or ethical breaches in process.
- Responsible for the Business Expenses Policy ensuring visibility of the policy, communication of the policy and updates to the policy. Dealing with policy related queries updates and providing the business and Accounts Payable team clear guidance on submitted travel claims.
- Approve and audit expenses claims which are out of policy and above a given threshold.
- Liaise with the Commercial team regarding travel in the supply chain, providing consistency policy guidance and treatment.
5. REQUIRED CRITERIA
- Sound knowledge of, and background in travel management, dealing with range of travel and expense policies, contracts and associated control functions within large organisations
- Experience of working in a leadership position for travel enforcing compliance and producing reporting but also affecting cultural and behavioural change across a large organisation
- Articulate; capable of explaining complex concepts, whether legal, financial or otherwise, in plain reasonable English.
- Pragmatic and solutions focused; open-minded; thrives on turning strategic ideas into operational delivery and impact.
- Experience of working with a range of travel contracts.
- Media-savvy; able to communicate and work effectively with the press.
- A wide knowledge of, and demonstrable background in travel and expense management, dealing with travel providers, travel bookers, and staff from across an organisation at all levels of seniority
- A knowledge of transparency requirements and responding to external requests for information e.g. freedom of information
TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
- Successful track record of working at a senior level.
- Ability to influence all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of implementing and enforcing policies; including changing change and monitoring performance, and implementing improvement plans
- Experience of working with finance, procurement, HR, and audit functions within large organisations, ideally in the transport or construction industries.