about 1 year ago
Utilities - Construction Manager
Our client designs and builds railway infrastructure all over the world and is one of the fastest growing railway systems company in Europe. Our client is part of global group (with an Annual turn-over of €1,6bn). Successful projects delivered include CTRL phase 2.
Our Client as part of a joint ventured has been awarded the CP6 Track upgrade works for the next decade in Central England.
To support their growth our client is now seeking a Construction Manager preferred from a utilities/rail infrastructure background to join their team.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
General: You are responsible to your Line Manager for the execution of your role responsibilities. You shall:
- Support your Line Manager and the staff under your control.
- Maintain a good working relationship with Client Representatives and all interested 3rd Parties
- Manage and control your project /s according to the agreed programme/s
- Arrange cover for your project/s during periods of your absence (delegation to be agreed with Line Manager).
Management of Health, Safety, Welfare, Wellbeing and Environmental matters:
- You are responsible for implementing and maintaining Health, Safety, Welfare, Wellbeing and Environmental matters at the site/s under your control in accordance with the current SMB Site Health and Safety and Environmental management procedures.
Responsibilities Project Management Systems:
The successful candidate will report directly to the Managing Director of the UK Branch. They will be responsible for, but are not limited to the following activities:
Manage Key Alliance partners and subcontractors on large single projects or on a portfolio of smaller projects.
- Ensure the project delivery team under your control understand the project objectives that have been agreed with the Client including the documented information that TW Operations require prior to "Hand Over" of the project and also the other documented information that the Client requires prior to issue of the "Taking Over Certificate".
- Manage direct reports and site teams, reviewing their performance, duties and support their development.
- Be conversant with the drawings, specifications and related information for the project/s allocated to you and ensure that all of the works/ services (including sub-contracted works/ services), are undertaken in accordance with the Conditions of the Contract, Works Information and associated Schedules and Appendices.
- Work closely with Design Manager to ensure buildability and timely delivery of design outputs.
- Enable "Collaborative planning workshops" at all phases of the project.
- Manage, review and drive resourced Construction Schedule ensuring all the Team is aware of the path of each other's work and any changes that occur.
- Promote continuous improvement in everything undertaken and share good practice within the project, back to Parent Company and to the wider industry.
- Attend / arrange weekly co-ordination, progress and programme / resource meetings as required.
- Drive Safety Health Environment and Wellbeing performance and monitor on site, ensuring that all relevant regulations and targets are adhered to.
- Review and accept/comment on Subcontractor's Quality Plans and Inspection and Test Plans.
- Implement, co-ordinate and monitor a Quality Control/ Assurance management system, this shall include progressive collation and filing of records (Subcontractor's or SMB's for "direct labour" or "labour only" contracts) required by SMB for the purposes of Quality Assurance and project "Handover".
For this position, the ideal candidate should have the following skills, experience and knowledge:
✓ Degree qualified, preferably in construction management or engineering
✓ Construction experience & Proven track record in the delivery of projects
✓ 5 years+ experience as a Construction Manager
Strong communication skills - for liaising with a wide range of clients, professionals and workers on site
Leadership skills and an ability to motivate your team to ensure a high standard of work
Excellent planning and organisational skills - for writing and monitoring project plans and schedules and utilising time and resources effectively
Resilience and problem-solving skills - in order to overcome unexpected challenges during the construction process
An ability to make decisions under pressure, so that the project can progress
Strong attention to detail for conducting site inspections and managing complex contracts
An awareness of health and safety procedures and legislation - for running a safe construction site
Sound commercial awareness - to allocate and manage your budget effectively and to understand client concerns
Numerical and IT skills, including knowledge of relevant building methods and project management software to manage information and finances during the project.
- Significant experience of working within a construction environment
- Awareness of industry issues
- Experience on working with Thames Water as a contractor will be advantageous but is not essential