Up to £35000.00 per annum
11 months ago
Job Description - Telemetry Engineer
To possess the necessary skills and experience to be able to carry out Engineering, configuration, testing, commissioning and documenting of Telemetry systems.
Based at Scottish Regional Office (Grangemouth).
Size of projects - Telemetry projects ranging from small standalone projects, to distributed Modbus systems, to multi-site project programmes involving new Telemetry installations, modifications to existing Telemetry systems and signal testing/verification.
Location of projects - mainly within Scottish Water's geographic region
The Job Holder shall report to the Telemetry Framework Manager.
Principal accountabilities on completion of training
1. Carry out the initial review of scope and content of a Telemetry work package. Gather information from Suppliers, Clients and Users to ensure the scope of work is correctly interpreted and implemented. Deliver projects in line with Telemetry design documentation and Telemetry processes/specifications.
2. Complete comprehensive site specific Telemetry i/o schedules, RTU code/configuration and Telemetry mimics from Clients outline requirements, and present for approval.
3. Preparation of Telemetry design packages, adhering to QA procedures and closely following existing Client systems of work which are in place for particular projects.
4. Configuration of Telemetry RTU's to Clients exacting requirements including serial comms (RTU Modbus) and radio communications links.
5. Build/Configuration of Telemetry mimics, i/o schedules and RTU software build, prepare documentation packages for Client's Top End system.
6. Accurately documenting results of Telemetry system tests at all stages of project life-cycle including full signal end to end testing process.
7. Drive Telemetry commissioning and signal end to end testing process in awkward site conditions, with close liaison with Clients and SW Operations.
8. Carry out radio and GSM surveys to sites, producing and issuing reports in a concise and consistent manner following established procedures and documentation formats.
9. Troubleshooting for Scottish Water's installed base of Telemetry RTU's both during and outside normal working hours.
10. Supervision and liaison with other contractors involved in Electrical, Instrumentation, Controls & Telemetry installation.
11. To ensure that all activities are carried out in a safe, systematic and controlled manner ensuring high levels of Client satisfaction.
12. Report on progress and provide necessary data to the Telemetry Framework Manager to allow up to date and accurate reports and forecasts to be completed.
13. Identify any work activities that are varied or fall outwith project scope and provide reports of such instances to the Telemetry Framework Manager.
14. Ensure that all Health and Safety procedures are followed and that site specific RA/MS are prepared for all projects requiring site works.
15. Assist the Telemetry Framework Manager as required in the generation of estimates and quotations.
1. Must understand and integrate into the Boulting Group as a whole.
2. Must understand the importance of maintaining high levels of client satisfaction.
3. The nature of this work is such that the Job Holder can often be the sole representative for Boulting on site, therefore the Job Holder must be capable of managing his/her time and project related workload with minimum support. The Job Holder must be capable of effectively managing communications and interfaces between Boulting Group employees, contractors and clients.
4. The workload is unpredictable and usually has imposed deadlines therefore the Job Holder must possess excellent organisational skills and the ability to often work under considerable time pressures. The Job Holder must integrate in to the existing Telemetry Engineering team and be able to participate in the established Team Working environment.
5. The Job Holder should already have experience and a good understanding of (or be willing to learn) Telemetry Systems, preferably with some experience or background knowledge of instrumentation, controls and processes used within the Water industry.
6. The Job Holder shall have a willingness to undertake periodic "1 to 1" performance reviews, to attend and have an active participation in all internal and external training courses.
7. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation and with clients.
8. The ability to work effectively and problem solve under own initiative is essential.
9. The ability to integrate well in to an established Engineering team and to possess a positive attitude to team working is essential.
Degree/HNC/HND Electrical, Electronic, Controls Engineering or a related technical/Engineering discipline.
Consideration will also be given to candidates with other recognised qualifications or job related training and experience who show an aptitude to further development.
Must hold full UK driving licence.
Job related experience
Preferably the candidate will have gained at least 2 year's previous experience in a Telemetry Engineering or other related Technical or Engineering environment.
Skills and Knowledge
Some technical experience of Telemetry systems is essential, and experience or knowledge of their applications within the Water industry would be advantageous.
Some technical experience or background knowledge of radio and/or Telecommunication systems would be advantageous.
Good general I.T. skills are essential and the ability to quickly learn new software packages and applications.
A good level of proficiency in the use of MS Office suite (MS Excel in particular) is essential.